Proceedings in Manzur murder case deferred

Staff Correspondent

A sessions judge’s court in Dhaka on Thursday deferred till July 18 the hearing on the closing argument in the Major General Abul Manzur murder case after the prosecution had filed a petition seeking time.
Dhaka’s additional sessions judge 1 Badrul Alam Bhuiyan passed the order after assistant public prosecutor Abul Kashem had sought time.
Major General Manzur, the then general officer commanding of the 24th division, was shot dead in Chittagong on June 1, 1981 two days after the assassination of the then president Ziaur Rahman on May 30, 1981.
A case filed by the victim’s brother with the Panchalish police in
Chittagong in 1995 and Criminal Investigation
Officer Abdul Qahhar Akand submitted the charge sheet. Even after 18 years, the case is still pending trial.
The closing argument began after the recording of depositions of 28 prosecution witnesses.
Kashem said that his senior, additional public prosecutor Asaduzzaman Khan Rochi, could not attend because of illness and that they needed more time.
The prosecution has so far filed time petition three times, he said.
Sheikh Muhammed Serajul Islam, who acted for the then chief of general staff Hussain
Mohammad Ershad, one of the five accused, told the court the trial was is being delayed.
Ershad, chairman of the Jatiya Party that
chairman that is a partner in the AL-led ruling alliance and lawmaker, was present in the dock along with two others — the discharged lieutenant
colonel Mustafa Kamal Uddin Bhuiyan and the discharged major Emdadul Haque.
The trial proceedings of two others accused — the retired major general
Abdul Latif and retired lieutenant colonel Shamsur Rahman Shams — were stayed by the High Court.
The slain major general Manzur was a freedom fighter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement